LATEST: Newly expanded, updated Strobist Gear Guide.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

You Wedding Shooters Just Got a New Home Page

No matter what your area of shooting, you should be looking to people in your field who are really busting some creative stuff as inspiration for your own shooting.

To that end, I point the wedding shooters (heck, anybody, actually) to Matt Adcock's new wedding-themed lighting blog, FlashFlavor.com.

Matt's just starting out with the blog thing, but he already has several great posts. If I were a wedding photog, I would bookmark this site and then pester him to update it at least three times a day.

(Sorry, Matt, but that's good stuff.)

The photo seen above was gotten in a church that doesn't allow flash photography. Yeah, it's a cool shot. But as far as I am concerned, the brownie points come from the sneakiness involved in getting it.

I'll take a chance every now and then to get good light. But you really have to hand it to a guy who is willing to risk his immortal soul to make a hot picture.

And if that isn't enough, check out Matt's video below from a "trash the dress" photo session. He shot it in an underground natural cave/pool in the Mayan Riviera. You know, just like the last place you did a wedding shoot.



For more info, and higher-res stills, check out his blog post on the subject.

Cool beans, Matt. Keep up the good work.


__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing...what a cool site and love the "trash the dress!"

May 12, 2007 10:10 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

I pretty much exploded in seven different ways when I snuck a peak at Matt's work. Being a wedding photog myself I'm always looking for something better. I should probably move to an area with an underground pool like that...

May 12, 2007 10:36 PM  
Anonymous John Dohrn said...

I just got done shooting a wedding about an hour ago and if i had extra strobes you bet i woulda done that kinda shot looking back on it now (and lucky me strobing was allowed!)w

May 12, 2007 11:01 PM  
Blogger Haskins said...

Great one! I think I will try this sneak attack next Saturday. Even though they allow flash, it will still be fun!

May 13, 2007 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the backlight, but I hardly think of breaking rules as creative, innovative, or professional.

May 13, 2007 5:50 PM  
Blogger ed pingol said...

yeah, matt has some kick-ass work.

//ed

May 13, 2007 6:06 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I assisted in trashing the dress at one shoot I had a few years ago...Making out in a (clean) trash dumpster...good times.

May 13, 2007 6:10 PM  
Anonymous matt adcock said...

HOLA David, Thanks for the props! Hopefully flashflavor can provide the same inspiration to others that strobist provided to me!

We have had some fun working on this and wanted to send out a note to all that this is a "WORK IN PROGRESS".

More new projects coming soon!

Thanks again!
cheers,
matt

May 13, 2007 6:22 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

I'm blown away ... Very inspiring.

I had to laugh when he said they used 2 speedlights with a blue gel on one and a red gel on the other, to "add a little flavor to the background." Because otherwise these would have been bland images :)

May 14, 2007 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little surprised that you chose this picture as the one to feature on your site. IMO, it's a pretty risky thing to blind the bride with a flash as she's coming down the aisle. Kinda takes away from the mood of the ceremony, doesn't it? The second image on that page, however, is outstanding. I like the light in that image much better.

May 14, 2007 11:29 AM  
Blogger Neil Cowley said...

Some fun pics in there and it's been a fun subscription to add to my RSS reader!

August 21, 2007 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home